Tuesday, 19 November 2013

A Simple Quinoa Salad {Perfect for Summer}...


I'm one of those late bloomers that has only discovered quinoa a few short months ago. I have loved it so much that I'm now tossing it in to most of my recipes instead of using rice, noodles or pasta. The push came from when my Naturopath suggested that I stop the gluten for a while to see how my body reacts. To sum it up my tummy is less bloated if not at all and I'm feeling a lot lighter! I have discovered that there are other things to add to a salad or meal other than pasta, not an easy task for this self confessed pasta addict! For some reason, gluten free pasta is not something I have taken a liking to. I'm still yet to discover one that I can replace my Barilla with.

This simple quinoa salad (used as a side salad for salmon) originated from a Woollies magazine recipe here but I have since started adding my own favourite veggies, flavours and extras to it myself.


Simple Quinoa Salad


Ingredients:

1 cup quinoa
2 tsp olive oil
1 small red onion, chopped
1/2 red capsicum, diced
1 carrot, diced
125g button mushrooms, sliced
1 zucchini, diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 punnet cherry tomatoes, halved - I added
1 corn cob, hulled and kernels removed - I added
2 tsp Moroccan spice seasoning
2 tbs chopped parsley
2 tbs lemon juice

Cook quinoa according to packet instructions. Meanwhile heat oil in saucepan over medium to high heat and add vegetables and spice, stirring for 5 minutes until carrots have softened. Add cooked quinoa, parsley and lemon juice. Stir to combine.

I've also omitted the Moroccan spice and added a tin of flavoured tuna to this and it was delish! So go ahead and play around with your favourite veggies and spices! Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with it. Just be sure to cook the quinoa following the packet instructions so that it doesn't turn out to gluggy (is that even a word?!) 

Now share with me...

What would be your favourite veggies, spices or flavours to add?


Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. I have only just got into quinoa too! Even though I've been gluten free for eight years!! I was a pasta addict too - the nicest and most like normal pasta is the San Remo brand (uses potato flour) i think and it's with the normal pastas at Woolies. Your salad looks amazing - will definitely give it a go xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum Yum! I want to make this for work lunches.
    How does it keep after you cook it? Can you eat it cold?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds lovely. I think I would add prawns but I also think it is perfect as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always a late bloomer when it comes to food. And just about anything really. It takes me a while to get over the 'faddishness' of stuff and allow myself to enjoy! This looks like a really yummy salad. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Feta. Anything summer with feta! Or peanut, chili and lime- although yours looks pretty yummy! Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment...

Sophie xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...